Lithium batteries have grown increasingly popular in the past few years, and more golf cart owners have been making the switch. Lead-acid batteries come with a lot of maintenance and problems that aren’t an issue with lithium batteries. Technology keeps advancing, and lithium batteries are the latest and greatest for golf carts.
If you’ve done any research, you know that lithium batteries are the better choice. They have so many advantages over lead-acid ones. But, how do you know which lithium battery is the best? First, let’s do a brief overview of the benefits of these batteries, and then we’ll help to answer this question for you.
Advantages of Lithium Batteries for Golf Carts
Lithium batteries are very powerful, especially given their size and weight. They offer many benefits over lead-acid batteries, which we covered in detail in a previous blog, but here’s a quick rundown.
- Power - Lithium batteries provide constant power for your golf cart. Unlike lead-acids, these batteries operate at full power, no matter their charge. Difficult terrain or a low battery won’t affect your performance.
- Charging - Lithium batteries charge much faster than their lead-acid counterparts. More importantly, lithium batteries only lose 2-3% of their charge a month when not in use. That means you can leave your golf cart sitting for a year and still have 75% battery when you return!
- Lightweight - Lithium batteries are significantly lighter than lead-acids and can reduce the weight of your golf cart by 300-400 pounds. That’s like removing two grown men from the cart. Not only does this increase your top speed by 4-5 mph, but it also allows for better handling and maneuverability.
- Long-lasting - Lithium batteries typically last 3-5 times longer than lead-acid ones, which means you could potentially go ten years without having to replace them.
- Maintenance - No maintenance required! Lithium batteries don’t contain acid, which means you won’t need to add water, clean corrosion, or check acid levels.
- Safety - Lithium golf cart batteries are made with LiFePO4 chemistry, which is inherently safe. They also have a BMS (battery management system) that monitors the battery to ensure it’s performing optimally and eliminates the risk of overheating and overcharging.
Things to Consider When Shopping for a Lithium Golf Cart Battery
When you’re trying to find the best lithium golf cart battery, you need to make sure you’re getting the right one for your setup. Here are some of the things that you’ll need to consider.
- Battery Capacity - Whether you’re actually golfing or using your cart to get around town, it’s important to understand how long the battery will last before you need to recharge it. The battery’s capacity is measured in Ah (ampere-hours), and the minimum you’ll find is 60Ah, which will get you 20-25 miles.
- Voltage - The voltage is the electrical power that you’ll get from your battery. Most golf carts run on 36V or 48V. You can get that from one battery, but it’s more common to use three to four 12V lithium batteries to get your cart to the correct voltage.
- Weight - Lithium batteries weigh a fraction of lead-acid batteries. This will significantly increase your weight-to-performance ratio.
- Cycle Lifespan - This is the number of times your lithium battery can be charged before it needs to be replaced. Lithium batteries, on average, have anywhere from 2,000-5,000 cycles, but some have up to 7,000 cycles. These types of batteries can last up to ten years.
Why Patriot Power Source Lithium Batteries are the Best for Your Golf Cart
Patriot Power Source offers lithium batteries that feature cutting-edge Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) technology. These batteries are designed and engineered in the United States and will go the distance. Let’s take a look at what separates these batteries from the competition.
The lithium batteries you’ll get from Patriot Power Source are drop-in ready for any 36V or 48V golf cart. They’re very easy to install yourself, saving you the hassle of finding a shop to do it. You can check out just how easy they are to install in a previous blog post, or just give us a call, and we’ll walk you through it. These batteries were specifically engineered to run a series wiring setup, just like a standard cart. Plus, Patriot Power Source batteries have a convenient handle for easy maneuverability.
When you purchase your batteries from Patriot Power Source, you don’t just get lithium batteries; you get a complete conversion kit. This kit includes three or four 12V lithium batteries, depending on whether you choose the 36V or 48V golf cart kit. You’ll get a wiring kit, LiFePO4 charger, and a battery meter. Of course, you’ll also receive detailed instructions for everything included and for making the switch yourself.
Battery Management System
Patriot Power Source lithium batteries all have a built-in BMS. This system continually monitors the battery to make sure that it’s performing optimally. It compares the overall condition, energy reserves, and temperature against the battery’s age. It also ensures that the battery is never over-charged or over-discharged and has safety circuits that prevent it from overheating.
These lithium batteries have 100Ah, which gives you 50 to 60 miles of range before you’ll need a recharge. With this much battery life, you likely won’t need to charge your cart after every use or even daily.
Lithium batteries from Patriot Power Source have a lifespan of 7000-7500 cycles, lasting longer than any other battery on the market. With no maintenance and a long lifespan, you won’t have to replace these batteries any time soon.
When you purchase a Patriot Power Source lithium battery, you’ll get an eight-year warranty. These batteries were built to last, and it’s incredibly rare to have any issues. However, it’s good to know that this warranty will cover any problems that arise. You can check out the full terms on our website.
If you’re ready to completely change your golf cart forever, Patriot Power Source’s advanced LiFePO4 lithium technology will do that for you.