In the past, marine vessels typically used lead-acid, AGM, or sealed gel batteries for power. However, battery technology keeps advancing, and in the last decade or so, more and more boat owners have converted to lithium batteries.
Lithium batteries come at a higher upfront cost, but they have significant advantages over other types of marine batteries. If you’re thinking about making the switch, you may have already heard of at least a few of the benefits. But, what other benefits will you gain, and how do you know which lithium battery to choose?
Let’s get the answers to those questions!
Advantages of Lithium Batteries for Boats
You need to know the advantages you’ll see if you make the switch to lithium batteries for your boat. If you want an in-depth look, we covered the complete list of pros and cons in a previous blog post, so we’ll give just a quick overview here.
- Lightweight - Lithium batteries weigh significantly less than any other marine battery. You’ll reduce your battery weight by at least two-thirds. Depending on your setup, this can mean a difference of a hundred pounds or more! This equates to better fuel economy and speed for your boat as well as result in “height gain,” as your boat will sit higher in the water due to lightness.
- Energy Efficiency - With lead-acid or AGM batteries, you can only discharge them about halfway before you risk damaging the battery. Lithium batteries can be fully discharged, giving you double the run-time. Plus, they charge faster.
- Performance Enhancement - Lithium batteries provide constant power for your boat. Lead-acid batteries lose voltage as the battery is drained. In bass boats, this means your trolling motor loses thrust over time and eventually quits working altogether. Lithium batteries have the same voltage output whether they’re charged to 100% or 1%.
- Cost-Effective - Lithium batteries last 3-5 times longer than lead-acid batteries, giving you about ten years of performance. Considering you have to replace lead-acid or AGM batteries every few years, you’ll end up saving money in the long run.
- Improved Safety - LiFePO4 technology used in these marine lithium batteries is inherently safe. On top of that, they’re acid-free, so you don’t have to worry about hazardous leaks. They also include a built-in battery management system (BMS) that constantly monitors the battery to detect and prevent unsafe conditions, such as overheating or overcharging.
- Maintenance-Free - Lithium batteries are entirely maintenance-free. Since they don’t contain acid, you won’t need to worry about checking acid levels, adding water, or cleaning corrosion.
Why Patriot Power Source Lithium Batteries are the Best for Your Boat
Now that you have a basic understanding of the advantages lithium batteries offer marine vessels, it’s time to figure out who has the best marine batteries.
Patriot Power Source’s lithium batteries feature the latest lithium battery technology, the LiFePO4 mentioned above. Here’s a quick rundown of why our batteries beat out the competition.
Our lithium batteries are lightweight and have a convenient handle for easy maneuverability. They’re drop-in ready, making the conversion easy to do yourself. Depending on what you need for your setup, they can be wired in parallel or series. If you have any problems getting them installed, give us a call, and we can walk you through the process.
If you need more than one battery, Patriot Power Source offers bundled kits. These include two to four 12V 100Ah lithium batteries, depending on your needs. You’ll also get a wiring kit, a lithium-specific charger, and a battery percentage meter. If you plan to do the conversion yourself, the detailed instruction guide will help you out.
Battery Management System
All of Patriot Power Source’s lithium batteries include a built-in battery management system. The BMS monitors the battery’s temperature, performance, and more to ensure it’s performing optimally. It also has safety circuits that prevent unsafe conditions, such as overcharging, over-discharging, or overheating.
Our lithium batteries have 100Ah, and since they can be fully discharged, all 100Ah is usable. Depending on your vessel’s setup, this will give enough performance and power for an entire day out on the lake. In fact, many bass boats can make it through two to three days of fishing before needing to recharge the batteries.
While lithium batteries typically get between 3,000 to 5,000 charge/discharge cycles, Patriot Power Source’s batteries can get up to 7,500 cycles. Our batteries last longer than any other option on the market, and they don’t require any maintenance. You’ll save on costs and won’t have to replace your batteries for at least a decade, depending on your usage.
Here at Patriot Power Source, we stand behind our lithium batteries. We offer an eight-year warranty on all our batteries. While they are of the best quality and it’s rare to have any problems, we have your back and believe in taking care of our customers. You can check out the full terms of the warranty on our website.
If you’ve decided it’s time to make the switch to lithium batteries for your boat, Patriot Power Source offers the best lithium battery technology at an affordable price. Stop by our website or give us a call at 888-287-2864 if you have any questions or concerns.